=T.O.D=
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troops of Deception a mature gaming clan for the battlefield series

HomeHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kev`s Upgrade!

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kev
=T.O.D=
Kev

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Help!

upgraded from xp to windows 7 in the last 10 days. very poor result for gaming. my fps was not brilliant prior to do doing this usually around 30fps has now dropped to 15fps on low setting. the game is almost unplayable now.

I now consider myself officaial TOD cannon fodder!

Knifing doesnt work. moan moan moan.

have done all the driver updates and uninstalled an reinstalled etc etc.

My question is this:- my windows xp version was 32 and after running a program which said i could run 64, i installed windows 7 in 64. I get an error message which says i have a games port which cannot work in 64.

Now, can I switch that games port off? do you think it is causing the lag?

Is there any hardware I can buy that can make my comp run more effectively in 64?

AMD athalon 64x2dual core processor 4600+ 2.42ghz
4 gb ram ddr 3
Nvidia geforce 9800 gt GPU

any help guys?

Would like to follow Relics recomendations for a major hardware change but i just cant afford to do that right now.

So i really have to do the best I can with what I have right now.

Last kill death ratio was 4 kills/18 deaths. boo hoo. What a load of Merde!

Kev
Back to top Go down

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:57 pm

i think its your processor mate, my fps is low aswel and i pass everything except for the processor, Xp is the best one for gaming at the moment as it requires less to run, although you dont get dx 10 or 11 on xp Sad
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Are you sure you have DDR3 RAM? I'm fairly certain your processor (and by association) motherboard will not support DDR3. Either way that is irrelevant but just thought I would point that out Wink

Duck.Face could have just hinted at something there, have you tried running in DX9 mode? As duck.face mentioned XP does not support DX9 and therefore skips out a lot of the fancy new effects DX10 and 11 introduce. These effects will take a heavy toll on older hardware so possibly try running in DX9 mode.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this games port, where did you get this error message? Was it in BC2?
Back to top Go down
http://www.patgaunt.co.uk
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:20 pm

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefieldbadcompany2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-53755487&pid=957944

Here is an example of how to run in DX9 mode, thought I would add this Smile Try it and let me know the results.
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:30 pm

thats weird mate, i have basically the intel version of your cpu, the same amount of ram and a older gfx the 8800 gtx but windows 7 boosted mines in every way.

there is one big disadvantage to switching it to dx9 you will only use 2gb of ram even though you have a 64 bit os, i did try dx9 for bc2 that lasted 2 mins it was horribly bad. try dx10 instead

have you made sure to get the latest nvidea drivers?

if you have go to the nvidea control panel and make sure everything is set for performance not quality

Last edited by crack on Wed May 26, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Quote :
dx9 you will only use 2gb of ram

Really? I wasn't aware DX9 limited RAM scratch I'm not saying you are wrong, I am just curious as I wasn't aware of this, could you send me a link about it?
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:38 pm

it was something i learnt when i done my work placement with a bunch of gekky it guys lol, its just because its older it was nver programed to see more than 2gb.
i will try and find something to back this up but it was word of mouth i learnt this so i may be wrong.

but from my experience dx9 is worse for bc2 i honestly couldn't believe how bad it ran.

i think this is because it was never designed for dx9 they just really made it work for it the same with dual core processors they work but its ment to run on a quad core
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Quote :
i think this is because it was never designed for dx9

Yeah, thats quite possible, Vista and Win 7 use a different display driver module to XP which is why XP cannot run DX10 or 11 (they are designed for the new display driver). This could well introduce a number of compatibility issues meaning that DX9 does not run the game as well if it is designed for DX10/11.

However, it could have better results on Kevs setup seeing as it is a newer graphics card; the way DX works is by running 2 layers - the hardware abstraction layer and hardware emulation layer. Basically the abstraction layer allows programs to communicate with the hardware directly ie drivers. The emulation layer checks to see whether the hardware has the capabilities for the effects and if it doesn't then it tries to emulate the same effects using software. Unfortunately this takes a lot of processing power so can slow down the computer a lot. Each piece of hardware is built for a specific version of DX but DX is also backwards compatible, allowing hardware built for older versions to utilise the new versions of DX (that is until 10 and 11).

Basically what I am trying to say is that his GFX card could be built for a newer version of DX (although I think the 8800 was DX10) and therefore not require as much emulation. This is all a theory though and we won't know until it is tested :p

Sorry for the technical jargon, it is a bit too complicated to explain in this short amount of space but i covered the basics, I've just done a module on Games Programming which had a big section on DX Embarassed
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:50 pm

may have been a bit of jargon but an interesting read lol

and ive been checking google no info on the max ram it can use.
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Quote :
ive been checking google no info on the max ram it can use

I had a quick look too but couldn't find anything, still may be true though. We'll have to wait for Kev to wake up so we can do some tests :p
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:52 pm

lol dam comeing up with ideas at this time why isnt every one insomniacs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Haha insomniac is the way forward Smile its fun to work when everyone else is asleep, plus its the only time my internet is any good for battlefield. Might have a quick game now before bed actually!
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm

lmao yea so much quiter no interruption Very Happy

oh dont tempt me i really should be in bed lol

oh check out the sticky in this section as well of andys post the game booster works really well,

also and this makes no sense to me at all but when i changed my FOV (field of vision ) to 75 it actually increased my performance.
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Quote :
changed my FOV (field of vision ) to 75

What is the default? If it is higher than 75 that would make sense, lowering the amount of terrain the computer has to render. If it is lower than 75 then I am confused :p
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:59 pm

it was 30 or 35 by default.

i really cant explain how it manged to make things runn better but it did lol!
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Haha, awesome. Right one game of battlefield then bed i think. Fancy joining?

p.s. Sorry for spamming your thread kev, we are trying to help, honest Smile
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

lol nah im going to bed so i can make work tomorrow lol.

this isnt spam it is freindly help im sure of it Ninja

ahh what hope does this forum stand when the admins cant stay on topic lol!
Back to top Go down

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:51 am

i thought it was only Xp that limited everything to 2gb of ram ? i have 4gb in mine but because im on 32 bit vista i only use 3gb Sad
ooo while on the subject what would be a good upgrade from a athlon 64 5200+ dual core ? *i dont have millions so be gentle with me Sad*
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:36 am

with the os its down to the bit version 32 bit can only see a certain amount where 64 bit sees a lot more.

so say you have 4gb 64bit xp the os will use all 4gb but when it comes to directx 9 it will only use 2gb for the game

post up your full spec duck in a new thread (just to keep it tidy) and we will se what we can do.
Back to top Go down

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:01 pm

Xp can only reognsie 2gb of ram all together, thats why theres no games out that need 2gb of ram from Xp as it just doesnt see it, maybe thats why yours was only using 2gb :\
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Quote :
Xp can only reognsie 2gb of ram all together, thats why theres no games out that need 2gb

I could be wrong but I believe 64bit XP can support more than 4GB RAM, it is only the 32bit version that cannot support as much (like all other OS's). I think the main reason there are not games that require more than 2GB is simply because at the time games were not advanced enough to actually require more than 2GB. If you look at the back of the box you'll notice that very few games to this day still ask for 2GB RAM, BC2 only wants 2GB even on the recommended specs. Smile
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:15 pm

I promise you duck xp 64 bit can use more than 2gb of ram your talking to a guy who has been running 4gb for a while even when I was on xp Wink
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:23 pm

4GB pfft, I'm running on 8GB atm Razz
Back to top Go down
crack
Admin
crack

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm

man im jealous Sad

im just waiting to later this year to holidays and my paintbull gun project is over then im hopeing to switch to an i7 set up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
r3lic222
Admin
r3lic222

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Ooh triple channel RAM Very Happy I'm going to upgrade to i7 at some point soon too but that will mean a huge overhaul. I bought an extra 4GB a while back to tide me over until I could afford the i7 setup I want :p

One tip though; ignore SSD's atm, I wanted an SSD for applications and HDD for storage so my programs would load faster but due to the price I decided to go RAID 0 on 2 500GB HDDs. I did a benchmark the other day and there are currently only 2 SSDs on the market that are faster than my RAID setup and I have 1TB of storage space cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kev`s  Upgrade! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kev`s Upgrade!   Kev`s  Upgrade! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kev`s Upgrade!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
=T.O.D= :: General :: Tech Centre-
Jump to: